A healthy, quick and cheap meal, in line with recommendations.
You can prepare it from scratch (soaking and boiling the beans) or you can to save time by using canned beans: it is a perfect option, just be aware that canned food is often a bit too salty. You can compensate by reducing salt in other dishes.
Rice, beans, pumpkin
- 320 g whole rice red
- 300 g dried beans borlotti
- 500 g pumpkin
- 40 g olive oil extra virgin
- 50 g sesame seeds
- 1 leave bay leave
- 1 tbsp herbs parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano, ....
- soak the beans for at least 12 hours
- rinse the beans. Boil then in a large quantity of water, with the bay leave
- cook the rice al dente, according to the instructions on the package (there are many different types of rice and specific cooking instructions should be followed)
- dice the pumpkin and stir fry it with the oil and the sesame seeds
- combine rice, beans, pumpkin and season with some olive oil. Decorate with some minced herbs, according to taste
- to complete the meal, add a salad (escarole and lettuce are usually less expensive), seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice, chives or other herbs