#cookathome ep.4 – new life to the leftovers
Cooking is fun, but often there is no time nor ingredients for fancy recipes. Here you can find some suggestions to set up a healthy and appealing meal even when the fridge is almost empty and your time is really limited…
Pasta with veggies, almonds and parmigiano cheese: new life to the leftovers!
Cooking is fun, but there is not always time and ingredients for sophisticated recipes. Here's how to bring an appealing and healthy dish to the table even when the fridge is more or less empty ...I had leftover swiss chards, sautéed aubergines, almonds and a tomato. I quickly prepared a tasty and very balanced pasta dish. Any vegetable is fine, the important thing is fantasy. Complete the meal with a side dish of carrots, a slice of wholemeal bread and a fruit salad to finish.
Yield: 2 people
FOR THE PASTA
- 160 g pasta di semola whole wheat, if possible
- 300 g cooked vegetables eg. swiss chard and eggplant/aubergine
- 50 g almonds weight without shell
- 1 tomato ripe
- 2 tbsp olive oil extravirgin
- 3 tbsp parmigiano reggiano cheese grated
- pepper to taste
- salt as little as possible
SIDE DISH OR APPETIZER
- 300 g carrots grated
- 100 g bread wholemeal
FOR THE FRUIT SALAD
- 300 g fruit eg. strawberries and peaches
- 2 tsp sugar
- lemon juice to taste
HEAT THE WATER FOR THE PASTA (at least 4 liters)
- coarsely chop the vegetables and sauté them in a pan. If they were unseasoned, you can first make a sauté with a clove of garlic and oil. If you are in a rush, only add some oil
- dice the tomato
- chop the almonds and, if you have time, roast them in a pan
- grate the parmigiano cheese
FOR THE SIDE DISH OR APPETIZER
- wash the carrots, cut the tops and ends. Cut in sticks.
FOR THE FRUIT SALAD
- wash the fruit, discard stems and stones, cut in dices
- season lightly with sugar and with somme freshly squeezed lemon juice
- cook the pasta "al dente"
- sauté in the pan with the vegetables
- add the tomato, almonds and the grated cheese and serve immediately!