#cookathome ep.3 Pasta with pistachio sauce
An unusual pasta sauce, adapted from an original Sicilian recipe. The key ingredient is the pistachio, a very nutritious tree nut, growing in warm climates: rich in protein, folates, vitamin B6….
Pasta with pistachio sauce
An unusual pasta sauce, adapted from an original Sicilian recipe. The key ingredient is the pistachio, a very nutritious tree nut, growing in warm climates: rich in protein, folates, vitamin B6.... Add a salad and some fresh fruit to obtain a nutrient dense dish for special occasions.
Yield: 6 people
FOR THE PASTA
- 500 g durum wheat pasta
- 240 g pistachios (dry) nor roasted, not salted
- 600 g onions sweet
- 12 tbsp olive oil extravirgin
- 600 g whle milk
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 420 g mixed salad
- 3 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil extravirgin
- 180 g bread whole wheat
- 900 g fresh fruit eg. kiwi and medlars
HEAT THE WATER FOR THE PASTA (at least 4 liters)
- peel the onions and chop them, finely
- heat the oil and stir fry the onions, gently, until tender
- in the mean time, grind the pistachios in a blender: you can keep them coarse, or grind them to a powder. The result will be creamier if you make them into a powder
- add the pistachios to the onions and stir on high heat first.
- add the milk, stir, and then reduce the heat. let it bubble for 5-10 minutes.
TO COOK THE PASTA, THE ITALIAN WAY...
- add salt to the boiling water (approx 2 tablespoons)
- when the water comes to a boil again, add the pasta and stir. When boiling again, reduce heat.
- cook "al dente". In general I drain the drain the pasta a couple of minutes before what it is written on the package. Keep some of the cooking water.
- add the pasta in the sauce pan, keep the heat on, stir for a minute, adding some water if it feels too dry.
- serve hot, with some pepper.
THE SALAD - to be served as an appetizer or after the pasta
- clean the salad, discarding damaged leaves
- wash it carefully, rinsing several time with clean water (change the water at least 3 times)
- spin the salad to eliminate excess water
- mix mustard, vinegar, olive oil and some salt to a dressing sauce. Season the salad.
- serve with a small slice a bread
- wash the fruit and serve: a vitamin and mineral rich dessert.
|NUTRIENT VALUES OF THIS MEAL|
|Daily reference values for a 2000 kcal diet|
|Energy||922 kcal||46 %|
|Protein||30 g||61 %|
|Fat||48 g||68 %|
|saturated fat||7.9 g||40 %|
|Carbohydrates||99 g||38 %|
|sugars||32 g||35 %|
|Fibre||23 g||93 %|
|Salt||2.2 g||36 %|
|Vitamin B6||1.6 mg||113 %|
|Vitamin C||131 mg||164 %|
|Folate||166 µg||83 %|
|Vitamin A||325 µg||41 %|
|Vitamin E||7.2 mg||60 %|
|Fe||8 mg||57 %|
|Ca||311 mg||39 %|
|K||1834 mg||39 %|